Currently I am changing company direction from freelance to product. This is also a change of mindset from small-business(projects) to startup(growth). Below are my notes about the project (mostly for internal use):
Value proposition: Make it easier/faster to code small apps (including coding in VR, tablets, …)
Customer segments: developers and learners, making small projects such as prototypes, tools, hackathon-entries, art, and experiments.
Business model: subscription/licensing for making proprietary apps (free open source is free). And teaching / small app-development for bootstrapping.
- More polish, languages, platforms, etc. Clojure support. Coding within VR (and mobile) with keyboard. Live coding on device across network. Bundle as app, and release for different distributions channels (AppStore, Google Play, facebook, …). Offline support with ServiceWorkers.
- Support / programming language for: lowend devices(i.e. large Arduinos, hexiwear, mindstorms, IoT), and touchbased development.
Bootstrapping and business model.
- Workshops / teaching programming (this can be started, and yield income + growth as soon as the MVP is up and running)
- Development of small projects
- Subscriptions / licensing for proprietary app development (free open source development is free)
- Only focus on very small project development (beginners code, hackathon entries, experiments, microlibraries, microservices, add-ons. - Single source file, doable in a day or so).
- Live development - taking hot module reloading to the next level.
- No project / build environment / … setup. Optional meta data defined in source if neede, just write the code, and release.
- Distributed reactive apps on the web platform. Minimal backend / nobackend / p2p.
- Writing code on tablet/mobile/VR as well as traditional computers.
- Zero setup time of build environment, saves time for developer and makes it easier for learners to get started
- Faster feedback cycle improves experimentation and learning
- …(Dist.react. -> multidevice coding; coding on device no need laptop)…
Possible release targets:
- Online web app (github pages)
- NPM module (unpkg)
- Nodejs app + docker image
- Cordova App (Android/iOS/… app, phonegap build)
- Offline app via ServiceWorker
- Browser addon
- Chrome app, Facebook app, …
The vision is to democratize technology, - to change the most common computing devices from app-consumption-only to app-creation, - to enable software development directly on tablets, mobile phones, …
The core value is openness and transparency. Both as open source, and also as company transparency. This also includes transparency of data.
The goal is to make a difference / impact, and not to maximise profit. Bootstrap, and then transform into social business, foundation or similar in the long run.